Tips For More Affordable Car Insurance
1. Reduce Coverage on Older Vehicles
If your car is old and paid for, consider eliminating your collision coverage. This is the coverage that pays for any damage that you cause to your own vehicle, and it makes up a big portion of your insurance cost.
2. Use One Insurance CompanyGroup all of your insurance policies – auto, home/renters, etc. – at one insurance company, and could earn a multi-line discount. Here at Sutherland & Scherff, we can provide all your California insurance needs and offer discounts of up to 10% for multiple policies.
3. Raise Your DeductibleSlash your auto insurance premium drastically by raising your deductible – the amount you pay out of pocket when you make a claim. The difference between a $250 deductible and a $500 deductible is usually quite substantial, and the difference between a $250 deductible and a $1,000 deductible, even more so. Decide how much you can afford to spend out of pocket, and then adjust your deductible accordingly.
4. Drive CarefullySafe drivers are rewarded with a better auto insurance premium. Avoid speeding and stay out of accidents, and you'll save 5% or more on your premium. Most companies will further reduce your rate every time you go three years without a traffic violation.
5. Drive LessAre you an infrequent driver? Then, tell your insurance agent about it. Less time on the road means less opportunity to get into an accident, and this often translates into a lower premium for you. Are you a carpooler? Then, be sure to mention this as well. There's more than one way to earn the low-mileage discount.
6. Seek Teen Driver Discounts
Insuring a teen driver can be expensive, but there are things that you can do to minimize the expense. Ask about a good-student discount if your teen carries a B-average; then check to see if taking a safe driving course could result in a second discount. These two questions could net you a savings of 5 to 25%.
7. Skip Monthly Bill Pay
The high cost of auto insurance may make monthly bill pay seem like a good idea, but you'll usually pay for the convenience with add-on fees. To avoid these extra charges, request to be billed every 6 or 12 months instead.